Just My Type explores the ways our personality, fears and motivations impact our writing and, using personality types, provides suggestions for tailoring your writing practice to who you are as a unique, creative human.
As writers, we are all different; there is no one-size-fits-all approach to creating a writing routine and channeling your creativity. However, your zodiac sign can help clue you into the characteristics and tendencies you may have as a creative person. Each zodiac sign is ruled by one of four elements – fire, earth, water, and air — and signs that share an element often share similar strengths and weaknesses. Below, I’ve shared some suggestions for each element on how you can tailor your approach to writing in a way that works for you and stimulates your creativity. In addition to your sun sign, don’t forget to look at your moon and rising signs, as those can also shed light on certain aspects of your personality and character.
Fire Signs (Aries, Leo, Sagittarius)
Fire signs are known for their passion and enthusiasm, but they can sometimes struggle to focus on one thing for long periods of time. If you’re a fire sign, here are a few tips to try incorporating into your writing process:
- Set clear goals: Fire signs are motivated by challenges and competition, and setting clear goals can help them stay on track and focused. Whether writing a certain number of words per day or finishing a chapter by a specific deadline, having a goal in mind can help fire signs stay motivated and engaged.
- Use visual aids: Fire signs are visual learners and can benefit from using visual aids like mind maps, diagrams, or mood boards to spark their creativity. These tools can help fire signs organize their thoughts and ideas and develop new and exciting storylines.
- Take breaks: Fire signs can easily get burnt out if they work on one thing for too long. Taking regular breaks to stretch, exercise, or meditate can help fire signs recharge and refocus their energy.
Earth Signs (Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn)
Earth signs are practical and grounded, but they can sometimes struggle to take risks and think outside the box. If you’re an earth sign, here are a few tips to try incorporating into your writing process:
- Create a routine: Earth signs thrive on routine and structure, so creating a consistent writing routine can help them stay focused and productive. It could be writing for an hour every morning or setting aside a specific time each week to work on a project; whatever the amount of time or frequency, having a routine in place can help earth signs stay on track with their writing.
- Try new things: Earth signs can sometimes get stuck in their ways and have trouble breaking out of their comfort zone. Trying new writing exercises or experimenting with different genres can help earth signs expand their creativity and develop new skills.
- Seek feedback: Earth signs value practicality and usefulness, so seeking feedback from others can help them improve their writing and make it more relatable and accessible to readers.
Water Signs (Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces)
Water signs are intuitive and emotional, but they can sometimes struggle to stay focused and disciplined. If you’re a water sign, here are a few tips to try incorporating into your writing process:
- Create a writing space: Water signs are sensitive to their environment, so creating a comfortable and inspiring writing space can help them get in the right mindset for creative work. Try setting up a cozy reading nook or decorating a designated writing space. Having a dedicated place for writing can help water signs feel more grounded and focused.
- Get vulnerable: Water signs are naturally empathetic and can connect deeply with their readers. Writing from a place of authenticity and vulnerability can help water signs tap into their emotions and create powerful and moving stories.
- Practice self-care: Water signs can sometimes absorb the emotions and energy of others, which can be draining and distracting. Practicing self-care activities like journaling, getting outdoors, meditating or practicing yoga can help water signs clear their minds and focus on their own creative energy.
Air Signs (Gemini, Libra, Aquarius)
Air signs are intellectual and analytical, but can sometimes struggle to tap into their emotions and creativity. If you’re an air sign, here are a few tips to try incorporating into your writing process:
- Keep a journal: Air signs are natural thinkers and problem-solvers, and keeping a journal can help them capture their thoughts and ideas as they come. Try jotting down notes throughout the day or writing a stream-of-consciousness piece. Journaling can help air signs develop their writing skills and unlock their creativity.
- Collaborate with others: Air signs thrive on collaboration and can benefit from bouncing ideas off of others. Joining a writing group or working with a writing partner can help air signs develop new perspectives and ideas and improve their writing skills.
- Take risks: Air signs can sometimes get stuck in their heads and struggle to take risks or try new things. To break out of this pattern, air signs might want to challenge themselves to try new writing exercises or experiment with different genres or styles.